The theme of Village Building Convergence 2014 was Beat of the Urban Hearthand occured from Friday, May 23rd through Sunday, June 1st. Click here for a map of placemaking projects for this year.
Central Venue this year was Sunnyside Methodist Church at 3520 SE Yamhill. They were gracious hosts. Thank you Sunnyside!
City Repair's Village Building Convergence (VBC) is an annual ten-day placemaking festival that combines crowdsourced activism, creative community development, hands-on education and celebration.
Our mission is to facilitate an annual collaboration and cross pollination of neighbors, groups, and civic partnerships to transform our city through village life patterns, education, and placemaking projects. This culminates in a 10 day springtime celebration.
Check out this year's Village Builder magazine:
We come together to create benches, community kiosks, gardens, street paintings, tile mosaics, and more! Neighbors join together with people who want to help and learn skills while bringing to life the natural building, permaculture, and public art projects that they’ve been planning. Learn valuable skills for urban sustainability and social regeneration while celebrating the creativity and diversity of our wonderful city! Read more about the VBC...
During the day, people have the opportunity to get involved with creative, community designed placemaking projects happening all over the city. There is natural building, gardening, art, and many other fun things to do and great people doing them with you! This aspect of the event is always free.
During the evening everyone gathers at a central venue for a night of wholesome food, presentations by leaders in the forefront of positive change, and exhilirating musical performances from local bands. Prices here are $15 in advance and $20 at the door, with worktrade available most nights.
How to Get Involved
There are many ways to get involved:
1) Volunteer to help plan & coordinate the VBC event. Email firstname.lastname@example.org for more info. We can't make the magic happen without volunteers. Even a few hours volunteering makes a big difference in your experience and that of others.
2) Offer housing for an out-of-town volunteer and receive free tickets to the evening programming at the main venue!
3) Host a placemaking site in your neighborhood. Email email@example.com for more info.
4) Build, help, create, and learn at neighborhood placemaking sites during the VBC.
5) Volunteer for a *worktrade* shift during VBC evening events to help us make this great event possible (and get free access to another evening event). These shifts are more intense than basic volunteer shifts.
6) Join your neighbors. Click here to support the village by participating in our Indiegogo Campaign!